U.S. Members Present
|Kelly Burch||Pennsylvania DEP, Meadville|
|George Elmaraghy (for Chris Jones)||Ohio EPA, Columbus|
|David Ladd (Nominee)||Michigan DEQ, Lansing|
|Chuck Ledin (for Susan Sylvester)||Wisconsin DNR, Madison|
|Gerry Mikol (Nominee)||New York DEC, Buffalo|
|David Ullrich (Co-Chair)||U.S. EPA, Chicago|
Canadian Members Present
|John Carey||NWRI, Burlington|
|Craig Mather||MTRCA, Toronto|
|John Mills (Co-Chair)||Environment Canada, Downsview|
Observers and Invitees Present
|Doug Alley||IJC, Windsor|
|Kay Austin||IJC, Washington, D.C.|
|Peter Boyer||IJC, Windsor|
|Jim Chandler||IJC, Washington, D.C.|
|Mark Elster||U.S. EPA, Chicago|
|Mike Gilbertson||IJC, Windsor|
|Gary Gulezian||U.S. EPA, Chicago|
|Gail Krantzberg||IJC, Windsor|
|Ann MacKenzie||IJC, Ottawa|
|John McDonald||IJC, Windsor|
|Cristiena Vyver||IJC, Windsor|
|Marty Bratzel.||IJC Windsor|
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
1. The agenda (reflected by these minutes) was approved as prepared.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF 144TH MEETING
2. The minutes of the Boardís 144th meeting, held in Chicago on February 6-7, 2002, were approved as prepared.
REPORT ON IJC SPRING SEMI-ANNUAL MEETING
3. The Board and Council co-chairs had met on the morning of April 10, then met collectively with Commissioners in the afternoon. The format and positive interchange continues to strengthen coordination and cooperation within the Commission family.
UPDATE ON PRIORITY WORK
Climate Change and Variability
4. A draft white paper will be prepared and circulated for peer review. The draft will also serve as the basis for a workshop that will examine measures to mitigate impacts of climate change and variability, as well as barriers to application to such measures. The draft white paper will be circulated mid-December 2002, the workshop held mid-January 2003, and the final paper approved May 2003, for incorporation into the Boardís 2001-03 priorities report.
5. The Board received reports about:
6. The Board received a progress report on the SABís examination of the impacts of urbanization on Great Lakes water quality.
Emerging Issues7. The Board received an update on the SABís forthcoming workshop, scheduled for November 2002.
8. The Board received an update on the SABís forthcoming workshop, An Ecosystem Approach to Health Effects of Mercury in the St. Lawrence Great Lakes, scheduled for February 26-27, 2003.
9. The Board was apprised of the status of proceedings being prepared for the International Air Quality Advisory Boardís December 2001 workshop, Addressing Atmospheric Mercury: Science and Policy.
Managing Shared Waters Conference
10. The Managing Shared Waters conference will be held in Hamilton on June 23-28, 2002.
11. Discussions continue to fill vacancies; the Commission will consider two nominations on June 11-12.
IJC 11th Biennial Report
12. The planned release date is September 12, 2002.
2001-03 Priorities Report
13. Board sign-off is required by May 23, 2003.
IJC Policy on Minutes
14. The Commissionís public release policy is now in place.
15. The 146th meeting will be held in Hamilton on June 26-27, 2002.