The International Joint Commission welcomes public comments on the decommissioning of the Milltown Generating Station, St. Croix River
The International Joint Commission (IJC) is seeking public comments related to NB Power’s intent to decommission the Milltown Generating Station and associated removal of the Milltown dam.
The dam is located near the mouth of the St. Croix River between Calais, Maine, and St. Stephen, New Brunswick.
NB Power owns and operates the Milltown Generating Station and, in 2019, notified the IJC and the International St. Croix River Watershed Board of its intention to decommission the Milltown Generating Station and remove the dam. NB Power is planning to begin decommissioning activities in summer 2022.
The public is invited to share their views by visiting the IJC’s website.
The comment period is open from June 2 to June 15, 2022.
- In 1934, the IJC issued an Order of Approval relating to the construction of a concrete dam across the St. Croix River from Milltown, New Brunswick to Milltown, Maine to replace the original wooden structure destroyed by a fire in 1924.
- Whenever the IJC is considering a decision regarding a dam or other structure in a river or on a lake, it seeks public input in accordance with the Boundary Waters Treaty.
- Public Comments – Decommissioning of the Milltown Generating Station, St. Croix River
- NB Power - Milltown decommissioning project overview
- International Joint Commission - 1934 Order of Approval
- International St. Croix River Watershed Board
Geneviève Asselin 418-564-0323 firstname.lastname@example.org
Edward Virden 202-372-7990 email@example.com